Wednesday, September 2, 2009

That's why it is called La La Land

TV puzzles me. As obsessed as I am with it, you really need to suspend belief to be able to watch it. Hollywood thinks we are stupid and you know my theory on people (95% of the world is stupid) but sometimes I really stop and think FFS! What are they thinking? Are they writing shows for the Geico cavemen? As I think about some of my favorite shows, most of them are about as reality based as aliens invading Earth. Here are a few of my favorites:





Friends - I watched this show for 10 straight years, I own every episode on DVD, but really, if Rachel, Ross, Chandler, Monica, Joey and Phoebe were actually living in NYC they would be living in 5th floor walk up together in Brooklyn, not in the Village. While Ross and Chandler have seemingly real grown-up jobs, they are never at them. They spend hours at Central Perk obsessing over who likes who and who's sleeping with who. Girls, do you know any group of 3 girls and 3 guys that can get along so well with so little drama? I don't think so. The guys would be locked in a constant fight over the girls and the girls would be catty. Nobodies life is that perfect.





Lost - My husband loves this show so I sat down and watched the first 4 seasons on DVD so we could watch this show together. What did that get me? Eye strain from watching 64 1/2 hours of TV and a lot of WTF moments. After watching 5 seasons (we watched last season together), I still have no bloody idea what is going on, what year they are in and why I should actually give a sh*t? Maybe the final season will reveal all, but I doubt it.





Entourage - I love this show, it is f'in hilarious, but really, even people in Hollywood do not behave this inappropriately. Ari would be arrested for harassment and persecution of poor Lloyd. He spends his day thinking of ways to torture, humiliate and drive poor Lloyd nuts. Vince would get sick of supporting his lazy, always high friend Turtle who really doesn't have any discernible skills and just sponges of him. He would get annoyed with his neurotic brother who is socially inept and seems to leave a wake of chaos and drama every where he goes. His best friend and manager E would be fired and sent back to Queens for being unable to keep Vince's career on track. But hey it's Hollywood, so not everything makes sense.





So while I sit and watch these shows and some of my other favorites like Sex in the City, Greek, Dirty Sexy Money, Lipstick Jungle (I told you I am TV obsessed!), I follow the lives of these characters and sometimes laugh my ass off, I must suspend belief in order to do so. Nobody I know is that pretty, that perky, that wealthy, that lucky, but I guess that is why they call it La La Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment