Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fancy Food

Since Tom is a candy buyer for Borders he gets to go to fun work conferences. He goes to San Francisco, he goes to Orlando, he goes NYC and I always want to go with him, but am never able to. But I hit the mother load when I was able to go to the Fancy Food Show in NYC.

As we boarded the shuttle to the conference center, Tom was going over my list of dos and dont's. Do pace yourself, don't try every sample. As he went on and on, I knew the big don't was - Don't embarrass me!

We arrived, checked in and entered the mecca. Row after row of vendors. There was candy, olives, cheese, wine, bread and thousands of other foods to check out. I was salivating as I considered all the free samples! I was like a kid in a candy store - literally. As I tried to keep focused and help Tom discover new items for the store, I could not help but try an olive, taste a cheese, and sample an Italian wine. Who cared that it was only 9:30 in the morning? All the rules were out the window. I had planned my food all week so I could indulge here. And indulge I did.

As we winded our way through the show I made friends with everyone I came across. I got ideas for my bridal shower, I got promises of goodies to be sent to me and I left with about 5 pounds of pink jelly beans for the candy bar I was now envisioning for my shower. I muscled my way to the front of the line (like a senior citizen getting into the buffet line) and I met Paula Dean, got her autograph and a picture with her. I was on the hunt for Rachael Ray but she evaded me in my quest.

Around 10:30 am, there was a set back. I was sick - I had not paced myself! As I sprinted to the bathroom, Tom just stood there shaking his head. I rallied and it was off for another 4 hours of show before I waddled to the airport with my full belly, my over bulging carry-on and enough candy to supply 30 girls with treat bags!

I'm blogging off (I crack myself up) until Monday the 14th as I am off to Disney World. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment