Monday, September 14, 2009

Disney Done Right

This past weekend the fruit loop troop went to Disney World - my Mom, my Dad, my niece KellieLynn (KL), my college friend Amanda and me. We had a long weekend (Thursday - Sunday) to do Disney and I am happy to report we succeeded!

The trip started out in typical fashion - Northwest caused me to be 2 hours late! We boarded the plane at gate A75, had technical difficulties and had to get a new plane which they so conveniently parked at gate A2. After schlepping a mile to the new gate, we finally took off. Everyone was waiting when I arrived in Orlando of course. The first night I shared the guest bedroom with KellieLynn. This 8 year old takes up more real estate than Donald Trump buys! After a foot in my middle back and a restless night, it was up to go to Animal Kingdom. I also instituted a new policy of musical beds where Amanda got to sleep with KL on Friday night and KL got the couch Saturday night and I got some sleep!

Tour guide Amanda shared all her tips and tricks and we darted around the amusement parks in 95 degree heat, dodging rain storms, seeing the shows, and going on all the crazy rides. We saw everything! My Dad was a trooper, cane and all, he kept up! We went on Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom. I should have known better when the sign said "You will get wet. You might get soaked!" We boarded and Mom and Amanda got a little wet on the first geyser and KL started laughing at them. That stopped, when we were plunged into a rapid and I do mean plunged. KL and I emerged from the ride like we had just taken a shower fully dressed. We were soaked from head to toe and looked like drowned rats. We had to wring out all our clothes, buy new shirts and take our shorts off so Amanda could dry them in the bathroom dryers. Once back to the car, we had our shorts off and hanging out the window as we drove away from Disney World and onto Downtown Disney. Our death grip on the shorts worked as we still had them at the end of our car ride!

We convinced my mother to go on Splash Mountain, a water ride with a 52 foot drop. But this time we were prepared and had our ponchos on. As we took the little plunges, my Mother's screams became louder and louder. We knew things were getting bad when we started hearing the Hail Mary being said before the final plunge. She survived, we did not have to do mouth to mouth and we proceeded on with our day. Mom was nicknamed 'Screamer' from that point on in the trip.

All in all, a fun trip, minimal drama and lots of laughs! Can't wait to go back!

No blog tomorrow (9/15) - off to D.C. for a work trip just for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment