Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Am I Obsessed?

When my mother said to me a couple of years ago "Michelle you are kinda obsessive" I thought she was crazy. I do not wash my hands 10 times in a row or check the locks on the door 5 times before going to bed (maybe just twice) nor do I have odd habits that you would classify me as having OCD. But as I continued to think about this, maybe even obsessed a little over her comment, I decided I am not obsessive, I am just passionate and I am not a quitter.

Let's start with the Wilson Cake decorating classes. My friend Karen was the instructor so I decided to check out the basic class. Before you know it, I was knee deep in frosting, had invested $100s of dollars in equipment and were producing cakes on a weekly basis that ended up being devoured by my co-workers. Did I stop at one class? Of course not. There were 4 classes and I took them all. I learned to make fondant, flowers, layer cakes and designs. Do I use my skills very often? Heck no, it is too much work, but it is a skill that I whipped out to woo my boyfriend (now husband) on his first birthday together.

Now you know how I love TV. The cheesier the show, often the better. I started watching Gossip Girl and loved it! I want to be Blair - it almost makes me want to be back in high school. Serena is cool but a little too trusting and not smart enough for me. Well I found out this was based on a book and would you figure? I proceeded to read all 12 books in the series in 1 month much to my husband's chagrin. Never fear, the author has started 2 new books series that I am following avidly.

Twilight is another current passion. I was dragged to the first movie by my husband so we could spend time with our friends Ray and Meghan who were in town visiting. I don't like scary movies, I don't like blood and guts, and to me the only vampire worth thinking about is Lestat. But I went and when the lights came up and my husband looked at me, eyes wide open, he said, "You are obsessed, aren't you?" What? Why would you think that? Because I dragged him to the 3 Borders stores in Ann Arbor looking for the deluxe box set? Because I made him scour all the NYC stores when he was there for work and snagged the last 1 in Manhattan mere days before Christmas? Because I made him carry the set, did I mention it is a deluxe set on the plane instead of checking it, so the luggage handlers and inspectors would steal it? I think not. It is just a really good story.

So maybe people think I am obsessed, I prefer to think of it as passionate about things I like. I don't 1/2 read a book, or 1/2 watch a movie, I am certainly not going to leave a series not fully read or a class/skill not fully conquered. That's just how I roll.

1 comment: