Saturday, September 5, 2009

Luxury is Not Overrated

Remember the helicopter ride to Monaco and all the suitcases I was schleping across Europe? Well what I did not tell you is that I did not help my suitcase "situation" when I arrived in Monaco. I was staying at Le Meridian which is known as a luxury hotel. People who say that "all they need from a hotel is a clean and safe place to stay" are liars. I admit it, I have said that, but clearly it sounds better than "I am being cheap and don't want to spend a lot of money." But let's face it, if we had the money, everyone would be staying at luxury hotels when we traveled.

Let's start from my arrival. My car door was opened and a small army rushed to unload my suitcases without a smirk, eye brow raise or any indication that my looking like a runaway with all my worldy possessions was unusual. I was whisked to the front desk to give my information and then shuttled directly and quickly to the elevator as we started our ride to the penthouse floor.

When they opened the door to my suite, this is where if I were in a movie, white light would have splayed on me, my hair would be swirling in the wind (when there wasn't any) and the gospel music would have started. This suite where I was going to be ensconced for the next 5 days was bigger than my house that I live at for the other 360 days of the year!

I walked into a bed room with a bed that looked bigger than a king size bed (is there even such a thing?), a flat screen TV that dwarfed my love seat at home and then you stepped down into the office and sitting area. This led directly out onto the balcony that overlooks the Mediterranean, just like you see in the movies. Looking left, I could see France, looking right, the yachts in the harbor of Monte Carlo. I felt dizzy - I want to live like this always!

Then there was the bathroom, complete with a jacuzzi, shower, 2 sinks and a toilet. As I glanced at the toiletries I stopped dead. They were Hermes - Hermes of the purses, scarfs and expensive clothing and they were all complimentary. 2 big bars of soap, 3 small bars of soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and a full-size bottle of perfume were provided every day! Let's just say I was very dirty in Monaco, because everyday I needed new supplies and my luggage continued to bulge and the seams started to burst!

Now I was off to visit my friend Scott. While I was the JCI Vice President assigned to Monaco, he was the big kahuna, the World President. Imagine my reaction to his suite. His suite had an elevator from the servant's bedroom and main entrance to his area. An elevator for one floor? In a non-handicapped room? Are rich people's calves that underdeveloped? As we took the painfully slide ride up 1 floor (we could not disappoint the rich and their standards) we marveled at the hotel. When we arrived into his sitting area, it was amazing. He had couches, 3 flat screens, a bar area and 2 bathrooms in his suite. He too had Hermes, which was totally unappreciated on him, so he told me to leave him a couple bars of soap and the rest was mine! I flew through the rooms like a contestant on Supermarket Sweep! No lotion, shampoo or perfume escaped my bag.

Back to my room, I decided I had better see if I needed any other of the complimentary items. Of course I did! I needed the stationary, the shopping bags, the pens and even the fluffy white slippers (they were free!) I was like a blue hair (old person for those unfamiliar with the term) at a buffet!

After a successful week of meetings and events in Monaco, and a suitcase that weighed about 25 pounds more than when I arrived, I was off for my back-breaking journey home with all my loot. But you know what, you can't put a weight on luxury!

No comments:

Post a Comment