Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It's Time to Go Old School

During the Oscars the other night, they did a tribute to John Hughes who recently died. It got me thinking about some of my favorite old school movies. They showed clips from The Breakfast Club which was a favorite movie of mine when I was in high school. I loved Judd Nelson. The bad boy who fell in love with the middle class good girl. I so wanted to be Molly Ringwald!

Then they talked about 16 Candles. Another Molly Ringwald movie. I did not have a crazy foreign exchange student like the Donger. I had cool foreign friends like Axel and Mauricio. No one forgot my 16th birthday. If they had, they would not have lived to see the next day. I had the huge party with over 70 people, the multi-layer cake with a staircase, a DJ and all the rest of the works. I was even styling with my very fashionable blue, white and orange parachute pants. I was even a fashionista back then!

As I was flipping through the channels today, I came across the movie Reality Bites. We were obsessed with this movie in college. Molly and I watched this movie time and time again. We thought their slacker college lives were cool because ours were crazed. As we shuttled from class to practice to play practice to our RA duties, there was never a dull moment. One of our first weeks as RAs, we were on rounds together when we heard noises coming from the scary Butler basement. We screamed, ran back to our rooms and got the billy club that Molly's Mom had given her for protection. The adventures continued as we dealt with unruly residents and their male visitors, a guy living in the attic, a streaker running around campus and residents who were hiding their microwaves during room checks while leaving their bongs lying about.

Movies bring back memories like looking at a photo album. You never know what phrase will spark a story!

No comments:

Post a Comment