Friday, February 19, 2010

Where Have All the Good Ones Gone?

I am a social person. I know, shocking! As I move through life from high school to college to grad school to work life, people come in and out of your life. Sometimes you lose touch with people, not because they have pissed you off, but because your lives have gone in different directions. As I approach my birthday, maybe I am feeling nostalgic, maybe I am being sentimental or maybe I just need a drink, but it got me thinking about good friends from times long ago.

First up high school - my best friend and cheer leading partner Angel. We made it through high school, big hair, cheer leading injuries together. We cruised the Caribbean together and even danced a choreographed routine to Janet Jackson at the cruise talent show. Now, that is friendship! I remember practicing in the yard at my grandmother's house. We had our cassette tape player and our matching shirts and we thought we were so cool!

Next up, my friend Robbie, now known as Rob to the rest of the world. We starting hanging out senior year even though we had spent the first 11 years of school together. He crossed into my college years - we toured NYC after a rough night with our friend Jim (Bean), we hung out on breaks and spent lots of time talking about what we wanted to do when we grew up.

In college, there was my friend Mehul from my internship in the Bronx. My first fake-o boyfriend (sorry Scottie) we spent the summer exploring NYC. We went up the Empire State Building, we got stuck on a crowded subway on our way to Chinatown and he even convinced me to sit through Les Miz for a second time!

In Grad School, I had a trio of boys - Drew, JJ and Sal. The first two had gone to school with Helen Keller so they were safe and fun. Drew was our DD as we partied it up in Buckhead. JJ was our upstairs neighbor that made it seem like we had boy roommates (but without the mess) and Sal was another girlfriend. He was my wing man as we tried to find people worth dating!

Since moving to Michigan, people have come and gone. My friend Jen moved to Chicago and into an abyss. Friends left the Jaycees and I was too busy to keep up. Regardless, all these people contributed to my crazy life story. I wonder who will be here over the next 50 years? I know you and your cats will be Wendy!

No comments:

Post a Comment