Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fancy Parties

I have always loved parties. I like going to them, throwing them, planning them, and keeping a full social calendar. As I have gotten older, parties have changed from traditional college keggers to more sophisticated affairs, but I still sort of stand in awe at Martha Stewart type parties. The first grown-up party I think I went to was at Tom and Trudi's house for a summer on the lake party. Shrimp, lots of wine and great steaks filled the menu. I felt so grown up at 25, like this is how parties should be. It quickly deteriorated when Wendy and I passed out in the hammock with the new nickname "The Sonoma Sisters." More parties at Tom and Trudi's again felt adult-like until Tim broke my croquet mallet while chasing a duck and my ex-boyfriend tipped the kayak and we had to perform a water rescue.

I went to Charity Preview event at the North American Auto Show in 2006. I was set up on a blind date who pulled out all the stops - a hired car and driver, appletinis in the car and dinner at the Detroit Athletic club. I met the Governor, snuck past the ghetto posse of Kwaime Kilpatrick (former mayor of Detroit) and went to the Time Life after party. But no matter how fancy the party, I still rode in a bumper car in my formal dress and had absolutely no chemistry with my date.

Finally, our birthday extravaganzas that Murph, Mindy, Fay, MJ and I have start out fancy with chocolate covered strawberries and Chandon. But after 6 bottles of champagne, I can bet we are not as fancy when we are being driven to Somerset since none of us are able to drive or when we eat all the Chinese food in sight at PF Chang's.

So I think I've figured it out. It does not matter how fancy the party is, the fun is more important!

No comments:

Post a Comment