Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fashion Faux Pas


Last Friday, we went to an 80's party with the Jaycees. As I was trying to figure out the easiest way to look like I was Irene Cara's understudy in Flashdance, I wondered how I was going to find a get up without having to buy a 2nd complete Halloween costume. Well, it appears that the 80's are now retro - Claire's is actually selling this stuff again! Pink leg warmers - check, fingerless gloves - check, blue eye shadow - check, blond wig - why the heck not?

This party made me think about all the trends through the years that were probably fashion don'ts. Let's think back to the 70's when I was born. All over plaid patterns fill my baby pictures. My Mom with her waist length hair and bell bottoms kept me in Shirley Temple ringlets until I went to kindergarten.

How about the 80's? We were Madonna wanna bes with the teased hair, multiple pairs of socks over our jeans, big feathery hair and huge belts. Who in their right mind would wear a big belt now to make our hips look even bigger? Not me, I do not even like belts period, they are claustrophobic!

The 90s were kinda unmemorable. We wore crazy clothes in college - boy's boxer shorts, tie dye shirts (trying to look hippish) and cut off jean shorts as we lived the college life. We had unitards that we wore with jeans to the club, even though none of were dancers and they were a pain in the ass when you had to go to the bathroom!

The 2000's were used to build up a work wardrobe, ATL and Macy's have become Staples. I get my tanks at Old Navy. They ought to come with a warning. They do not hold up well when soaked on the Animal Kingdom Kahli Rapids! That was the end of my $2 tank this year! I like retro tees know and could live in comfy clothes? I'm probably more conservative with my fashion choices now but I do have jeweled Burberry shoes, an aqua sweater with fur trim for apres ski and a perfect pair of track pants that make me feel very J Lo like.

Fashion is my friend. Through faux pas and fashion hits, one thing is for certain, you can never have too many clothes.

Can you guess which Madonna wanna be is me?



















2 comments:

  1. It is never possible to have too many pairs of shoes or too many outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me - they were called "bodysuits" and don't forget the over sized men's blazer from the Gap!

    ReplyDelete