Monday, October 26, 2009

All I Really Want is a Drink!

This past April, 14 of us packed up our suitcases and headed to Vegas for a long weekend. Brian, Jaime, Joel, Tom and I stayed at The Mandalay Bay. The first day there, we gathered in the room for some pre-dinner drinks before venturing out onto the Strip. Brian and Jaime's room had 4 glasses so they called down for more. Housekeeping told them it would be a $5 surcharge to bring more glasses to the room. Are you kidding me? They can be washed and reused! It costs $5 to have you drag your lazy a** down the hall with some super heavy (not) bar glasses. Please! Tom and I transported ours from our room and the party continued.

Then we decided to make some margarita's. A shaker beckoned to us on the bar shelf, but it was enclosed in shrink wrap. Never a good thing. Brian called down stairs to find out the deal with the shaker only to find out that if you opened it, you would be charged $30. Are we in the Twilight Zone? $30 to use a shaker, to buy a shaker. The same shaker was $12 in the gift shop down stairs. After asking housekeeping how much it would cost us to shake our own margarita with 2 glasses and being hung up on, we settled on stirring up the drinks as best as we could!

In college, Natalie, Carrie and I spent my 22nd birthday and spring break in Key West. Not known to be shy, we decided to hit the party scene to see how many free drinks I could get on my birthday. The night was long, the drinks were many and I did my first and only Jaegerbomb luge that night!

Helen Keller and I were preparing for a night out at the dueling piano bar - see, it is the pre-partying that gets me in trouble. We decided to play Scrabble, but we made it into a drinking game! If you did not score a certain number of points on every word, you simply had to drink some kool aid alcohol concoction. As the game wore on, we were a little crazier and we spilled a bit of red kool aid on the carpet. Meaning to prevent this from happening again, we went in search of a travel mug to use so we would be more careful. Being tipsy and unable to determine where all our travel mugs had run off to, we started rummaging for anything that could be used. We found a Mrs. Butterworth's syrup holder and she became our mascot and drink holder for the rest of the night. When Drew got there to pick us up, he was definitely not as amused with us as we were with ourselves!

Through the years, I have drank from a coconut, a tiki head, a fish bowl and a chalice in my quest for the most delicious drink. Nothing compares to a good old apple martini especially when you can whine lovingly to a good a great friend and say "Make me an apple martini!"

1 comment:

  1. didn't we drink from an elephant foot out in LA? i still have that thing and keep pens in it.

    ReplyDelete