Friday, August 28, 2009

Where Has All the Good TV Gone?

Last night, 5 close friends, my husband and I sat down and watched the final movie that closed out the Prison Break series, Prison Break: The Final Break. How dramatic is that title? Us avid fans waited anxiously week to week to learn the fates of Michael, Papi and Lincoln. Why do my favorite shows always get cancelled?

Besides having extremely attractive actors on the show (which definitely did not hurt), it was a show that my husband and I could sit down and watch together. It had action, suspense, love and it was just plain interesting. Michael ended up breaking himself and others out of 3 prisons - who else can say that? He was a modern day MacGyver, but much cuter and without the mullet. His one stint in the Panamanian prison, Sona, made my trip to Panama for JCI so much more exciting. Even though it was a show, I was sure that I would run into Lincoln or Gretchen as I was exploring Panama City and I could help them rescue Michael.

Prison Break is not the only show that no longer fills up my DVR and causes my husband to tell me to erase the junk that I have recorded so he can record a sporting event. This past year was a bad one for my TV watching - Pushing Daisies, Lipstick Jungle, Dirty Sexy Money and Knight Rider all left TV land. Tell me please how shows like "I Survived A Japanese Game Show" and "The Biggest Loser" survive season after season while shows with interesting plots, sex, greed and fast cars ride off into the sunset?

I warn you now TV execs, don't even think about messing with Burn Notice or In Plain Sight. I don't know if I could survive the long week of reality television. Wipeout is the exception to the bad reality TV - this is the most hilarious show I have ever seen. What makes chubby, out of shape, crazy people think that they can tackle obstacle courses that would have even put of a fight with the best athletes? These people flip, they flop, they get muddy, they get the crap knocked out of them and they say stupid things on national TV in a quest for their 15 minutes of fame. However, I can not argue that the Big Balls are good for your weekly laugh quota!

So TV Execs it is time to bring back or start some new TVs shows for me to be obsessed with. My DVR is surprisingly empty, I miss Michael, Kirby from Lipstick Jungle and the cheesiness of the whole Knight Rider show. If not, I guess there are always the past seasons on DVD.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I still think there will be a FinalFinal Prison Break. Discuss.
    2. I love reality tv and nothing stirs up more controversy than the most 4 recent Bachelor and Bachelorette shows: Brad - picked NEITHER of the final 2; Deanna - select stoner surfer Jesse over amazing Jason (they broke up 4 months later); Jason(same guy rejected by Deanna) - picked 1 girl, they dated for 2 months, broke up, then he started dating girl #2 that he rejected in the finale; and finally Jillian(coincidentally, Jason's #3 girl from his season) picks a guy that leaves the show and is allowed to come back then was determined to be home cheating on Jillian with not 1 but 2 girls. And she is still with him. Come on - this is GOOD tv!

    ReplyDelete