Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Baseball Rocks!

I know the saying is Cleveland rocks (and I probably heard this phrase 20 times in the 36 hours I was in Cleveland last weekend) but baseball REALLY rocks! I am a die hard Yankee fan. I have a "I heart Yankees" necklace, a Yankees hammer, at least a half dozen assorted t-shirts and even Derek Jeter postcards. I love the YES network - I've been known to watch the baseball game, and then the encore presentation that starts 30 minutes later. My niece who was 4 at the time even knew my love for the Yankees when she asked "Auntie - are you watching the Yankees again?"


My obsession started when I was growing up in upstate New York. The summer of 1994 was poised to be the best one of my young life. I was interning at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx and it is ~2 miles from the stadium. Just my luck, that was the year that major league baseball decided to go on strike and I only got to see 1 game.


Since then I have been an avid follower. I proudly wore my Yankees gear in Atlanta when the Yankees beat Atlanta in the 1996 World Series. I take countless ribbing from my husband the Oriole fan, my Ann Arbor friends the Tigers fans and any other baseball fan that feels the need to pick on the Yankees because they have been able to do what most other franchises can not - make $ and recruit top potential. I am past all that. From March - October, I live, breath and obsess over Yankee wins and losses, home runs and disabled players.

Luckily, I married another crazy baseball fan. When we retire, we have decided that we are going to get an RV and visit all the MLB parks in the country. I already have a jump on this - I love the new Yankee Stadium and the tradition, the ability to watch the boats in the bay at Giants Stadium, the fun Coke bottle at the Braves Stadium and the Ferris wheel at Tiger Stadium . I have yet to enter the stadium of my arch nemesis (the Boston Red Sox), but that day is coming. Will I wear my Yankees gear? The verdict is still out, depending on how brave I feel that day.

Since I am living in Michigan now, I now also follow the Tigers. I am getting my hat and shirt ready to head out to the stadium this Friday and Saturday. I can already smell the roasted peanuts and the hot dogs. Want to come with me?


3 comments:

  1. Miche, when we went to see the Yankees play the Mets at the old Yankee Stadium on Derek Jeter's 20th birthday (also Molly's 30th birthday???) and you were on crutches and you programmed my brother's GPS and we took the subway back, I bought the CUTEST pink off-the-shoulders Yankee shirt - remember? Well I recently had to give it away.....way, way, way too small. In fact I probably had no business even wearing it at the time let alone +30 more lbs! Man, those were the days......

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Derek's 30th birthday also. They are the same age.

    Yes, those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops - typo - I meant to say Derek's 30th, not 20th though he probably wouldn't mind that I just made him 10 years younger!

    ReplyDelete