Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In Search of the Perfect Latte

Every who knows me, knows I love Starbuck's! I seek out Starbuck's as I travel around the world. Opinions of countries can be altered if there is not one. I mean Malta is a beautiful country and I have lots of friends there, but really, would it hurt them to put a couple Starbuck's on the island to make my time there a little bit better? I was recently in Geneva, Switzerland speaking with my friend from Turkey and he pointed out that there was no Starbuck's near our hotel. He had already scoped it out for me. I had to take a bus to the train station to get one for God sakes!

I like lattes so much that when I was browsing Amazon for a new set of mystery books to start reading that I was so excited to come across Cleo Coyle's Coffeehouse Mysteries. I immediately forced my husband to Borders to buy all 7 of these delicious books - On What Grounds, Through the Grinder, Latte Trouble, Murder Most Frothy, Decaffeinated Corpse, French Pressed and Espresso Shot - even the names made me want to go to Starbuck's!

One day, I was walking around Ann Arbor and I saw a new coffee shop, Mighty Good Coffee Roasting Company. In a hurry, I decided to try this coffee shop instead of walking the two blocks to the Starbuck's. I ordered a latte and the first thing I noticed was the care the barista took in preparing my latte, even forming the milk foam into a heart (like I had just read in my coffeehouse mystery books)! I took my first sip and it was like I had never tasted a latte before, the taste was awesome!

I still go to Starbuck's, but not the one near the Mighty Good Coffee Roasting Company, and the next time I am in Malta, I will look for the locals coffee shop and enjoy myself not wanting a Starbucks!

3 comments:

  1. where is this new coffee place? i get emails from them but don't know where their shop is. nickels arcade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it is on Main Street near Vinology across from Bennett Optometry. It rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you for breaking out of your Starbucks obsession! Local places can be awesome!

    ReplyDelete