Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rain Sucks

If I hear one more time "We need the rain," I am going to poke someone with my umbrella. Rain sucks. It is the destroyer of days, the harbinger of havoc, the monster of bad moods and just plain annoying in so many ways.

First, let's talk about my appearance. No matter how much goop I put in my hair, on rainy days, I never have a good hair day. Usually, I end up as a cross between Michael Jackson in his Jackson 5 afro day's and a poodle. Also, having to gear up with rain boots, a rain coat and an umbrella is something similar to suiting up to track across the Serengetti. No matter how cute the gear is, it is still a whole lot of extra stuff to put on and take off through out the day.

Then what happens to drivers when the rain starts? Rain takes seemingly normal drivers and turns them in to stark raving lunatics. A 45-minute ride home from the ballpark turned into a 3 and a 1/2 hour affair because some idiot decided to drive 20 miles over the speed limit, slam on their breaks on a slick patch of road and climb the embankment snarling traffic. I mean, this driving behavior isn't smart in good weather, what would possess someone to do this while dashing puddles, trying to see through windshield wipers that always decide to act up when it is down pouring and when other cars decide to drive 20 miles UNDER the speed limit? Really.

Rain also makes me mad when I am flying (which I do a lot). An easy 2 hour flight to Maine was turned into an 8 hour stay in the DTW airport while my house was a mere 20 minutes away. Can any one blame me for turning into a crazed lunatic when I am trying to fly 2 hours and could have been in Europe by the time I finally arrive?

Also known as the Spoiler of Summer Fun, rain really cuts into my social life. Picnics have been forced inside this year (which is just another excuse for my Guitar hero obsessed friends to break out the Wii again) and 4 baseball games were touch and go through the first couple innings. Even though the games did play, dealing the humidity, the stickiness and the wet seats did not improve my overall mood. Even a day at the pool is impacted by rain. Sitting their in my bathing suit does not preclude me from running like I am being chased from the pool at the first drops of rain.

So rain, you are kind of a pain in the a**. I sleep on average 6 - 7 hours a day and spend at least 10 - 12 days away from home each month for work, JCI or fun. At night and when I am out of town, go nuts! Otherwise, rain, rain go away, Michelle is a busy girl and can't take your delay!

1 comment:

  1. This was hilarious! I'm giggling at you poking someone with your umbrella, because I know you and you so would. But it would be a very cute umbrella.

    ReplyDelete