Sunday, August 30, 2009

Bucket List - Should I or Shouldn't I?

Most of you have probably heard of the movie "The Bucket List" with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It's about 2 dying men who in their limited time left on earth, use the money and resources of one of them to do all the things they ever want to do. This got me thinking about what would be on my bucket list. I mean I hope to live for another 85 years years and be the oldest person in the world at 120 years old, but it is good to have goals ya know. So when I was hanging out in Seattle airport, I saw a book called "101 Things to Do Before You Die" so I decided to buy it and see if it would give me any ideas.

Well the first thing I realized was that I live an extremely boring life! Out of these 101 things, I have only done about 6. One of them was take a hot air balloon ride. My husband and I took one this July and it was amazing. We could see 50 miles and were over 2,000 feet in the air. What they don't tell you is that it is incredibly hard to actually take a balloon ride in Michigan - it took us 13 attempts before the weather cooperated! The 1st year anniversary present caused countless arguments, disappointments and my husband a 2nd anniversary gift for me before it actually happened.

Another one I am proud of accomplishing is shooting targets. In April in Las Vegas, we went to a shooting range and I got to shoot an Uzi! It was cool and I felt like I could then conquer any action movie that came my way. What they did not tell me was I would be so tense when I was shooting, that I would strain my chess muscles and hurt for 3 days. At first, I thought I had been shot with a stray bullet or was having a heart attack and started freaking out appropriately at the shooting range. Once I was checked for no blood, I decided that I probably could go to the hotel and take a nap.

Some of the things on the 101 list sound fun. I would like to swim with the dolphins, although I hear they are quite stinky. I would like to write a best seller, but let's be real, I just started a blog and I do not even know what directions I want this to go. I would like to visit Wonders of the World, now I just need to write that book so I have the time and money to be able to travel more.

But there are some things in the book that I would NEVER want to do. 1st up, storm chase a tornado. Did the authors of this book not see Twister? People die chasing tornadoes. No thank you. I don't even like the tornado warnings at work when they make people go into the bathrooms (since there are no windows) to wait it out. It seems I always have to go to the bathroom thenR and there is absolutely no privacy!

Next up, get arrested. Are you kidding? Remember, I watched Prison Break faithfully, nothing about prison seems fun. I know Michael Scofield will not be my cell mate. There will be no lattes, no cute clothes and talk about a perpetual state of bad hair? Get real.

What about seeing an exploding volcano? Maybe if I am 50 miles away and in an airplane. Remember, I watch too many movies. I don't want to be visiting Dante's Peak and get stuck in the acid lake or get stuck at the La Brea tarpits in L.A. like in Volcano. I am on to you volcanoes and I do not want anything to do with you!

So what I realized was that this book probably wasn't the best purchase for me. It made me question the excitement in my life and it made me believe these authors have a death wish. I think creating my bucket list is a better idea. While my list is not complete (remember I still have 85 years to come up with new ideas) I do know I want to try ziplining, I have lots more places to visit around the world and I have about 20 more MLB stadiums to go!

1 comment:

  1. I swam with the dolphins and they are NOT stinky! They are amazing animals. However, I would not recommend doing it just to do it b/c it's on a list. Do it b/c you love the animal and want the incredible experience! And you SO don't lead a boring life, Hegy-Nagy!

    ReplyDelete