Friday, December 18, 2009

The Comedy of Cooking

Cooking is OK. I like to entertain so I could quite a bit. I have my staples that everyone loves - macaroni and cheese, Cajun lasagna, Chinese chicken salad and anything chicken. However, not all cooking/baking is without incident.

Not too long ago my husband was making tilapia and wanted to fry it in flour. I love fish, but I will not cook fish, so I was quite excited. I pulled out the flour and went on my merry way. We sat down to eat and something looked wrong, the browning was odd. I took one bite and realized the problem. I had given him confectionery sugar instead of flour. It was the sweetest fish we ever ate, but we ate it, because that was on the menu for that night!

Next up, Fay's pumpkin birthday cake - I spent a couple of hours over the weekend making a cake in the shape of pumpkin, complete with orange frosting and candy carvings. It wasn't looking half bad until I tripped on the side walk and the cake ended up all over me and all over the drive way. Off to Meijer's to buy a cake - pissed that I had wasted so much time and money and I was bring a store made cake to the party.

Last night, Jaime and I decided that we were going to make holiday cookies. Each of us were armed with our 2 recipes and the ingredients. You would never have recognized us at the end with all the flour and powdered sugar flying. We looked like we were senior citizens as the white settled into our hair. In addition, trying to wrangle 2 pounds of powdered sugar and a huge jar of peanut butter into a buckeye was quite comical!

That's probably too much sharing for today - I don't want you to think that I can not cook and bake. Sometimes, I get distracted, I admit I make a mess when cooking, but usually people eat what I make and don't get sick.

I rock the crab cakes and quesadillas also!

No comments:

Post a Comment