Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Unlimited Opportunities

"You will soon be confronted with unlimited opportunities." - I found this old fortune cookie tucked a book that I was getting ready to sell. This is a pretty good fortune compared to some of the lame ones that are often in the cookies. Unlimited opportunities got me thinking. Over the past few years, I have had many cool opportunities. A few that pop to mind include:

- Parasailing in Tunisia - where else in the world do you not have to sign a waiver, get a 30 second steering instruction and then let loose to come in and land over a 4 lane road?

- Emergency Airline Evacuation in Sabadell, Spain - the simulator gave us turbulence, smoke and the chance to slide off a wing onto the ground in a skirt suit.

- Segway tour in Vienna, Austria - again, why are other countries so trusting? Give me the equivalent of a motorized scooter with 30 minutes of training as we are expected to weave in and out of city rush hour traffic at dusk. It is a miracle that a few bruises and bumps are all we got. We narrowly avoided an international traffic incident or 2, but what can I say, we are stealth like, like spies. Not! More like the Tasmanian devil where people rush to get out of our wake.

- Visiting North Korea - sure it was accompanied by both good military police and bad military police watching our every move, but I know my feet stepped over the line and I was in enemy territory. Made me think I was in a Rambo movie.

- Sitting in a wooden shoe in Amsterdam that fit me. Where else could you find such a thing? I guess the city where pot is legal and the Red Light District is alive and kicking!

- Attending cocktail parties for JCI in various historic locations - in the catacombs of the Teatro Circulo in Rosario, Argentina, in the G20 site of Busan, Korea and the old chateau where the European Union was formed.

- Climbing the smallest stairs ever in the lighthouse of Colonia, Uraguay - Tom scrapped his back, broke his glasses and I hiked the 120 steps pregnant in 95 degree heat. Never let it be said they we are not up for an adventure!

- Biking a volcano, going on a submarine ride and navigating the road to Hana in Maui - we didn't have time for zip lining or snorkeling, but oh well, it gives us something to do next time we are there :)!

Unlimited Opportunities abound, all I need to do is say "Yes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment