Sunday, January 17, 2010

Random Thoughts from 2009 - Day 9 aka The Top 10 Cities

Everyone knows I like to travel a lot. Shocking I know but there are so many interesting places to see, why would any one want to sit still? I still have a long list of places to visit - Italy, the Greek Isles, the Vatican to name a few but I have favorites already from the over 35 countries that I have already visited. Here we go:

10)Amsterdam - this city is awesome. There are canals, the juxtaposition of old and new, but it very difficult to find our way around. All the streets curve around the canal and everything is named so and so platz. I got so lost that I had to find a Hilton hotel to hail a cab to return to my hotel quickly when it started raining.

Word to Describe Amsterdam: Twisty

9)Chicago - the windy city and one of the closest to where we currently live. I have been there in the heat of summer with the Ann Arbor Jaycees to watch the fireworks on Navy Pier and dance the night away at some college bars . Tom and I flew out there for a overnight trip near Christmas where we went to a Christmas Tree exhibit, drank some gluwein at the German market and had a yummy dinner at Harry Carey. I have been there when the river was green for St. Patrick's Day and we have had many fun girl's trips there. We built a fort in Marshall's with all the clothes, Wendy, another friend and I bought. We had so many bags we could not even get through the El turnstiles and we filled the Vue to the rim.

Word to Describe Chicago: Familiar

8)Napa Valley - I love wine! I love the wineries there - V Sattui, Domaine Chandon, Coppola, Rutherford Hill to name a few. I have visited the wine caves of Kunde on a private Northwest tour (did you know I travel a lot) and I drank my way thought the many towns along the route (with a designated driver of course)!

Word to Describe Napa Valley: Hazy

7) LA - 2 years of work hell, but a lot of fun. Movie stars, cool restaurants, fun sightseeing and great friends. Where else can you run into Michelle Pfeiffer at a traffic light, and see Randy Quaid at the Beverly Hills Hotel dressed in a tuxedo ts-hirt? Will it ever be the same when I go back? Probably not but, the memories will last forever.

Word to Describe LA: The Single Life

6)Istanbul - Starbuck's is my friend! I sought it out as a way to refortify myself for the marathon sightseeing adventure! The shopping is great, the views amazing. Just be aware of the taxi drivers - you need to negotiate or you will get cheated. I argued with several taxi cab drivers before finding an appropriate driver to take us from the airport to the hotel.

Word to Describe Istanbul: Mystical

The top 5 are still to come....but if I could drink wine, drive a convertible with the top down while singing "Istanbul is Constantinople" while winding my way down Lake Shore Drive or the PCH, I would be an extremely happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment