Thursday, January 7, 2010

Random Thoughts from 2009 - Day 8

As I started my 12 Days of Random Thoughts, I believed I had lots of bizarre ideas and opinions, but as I struggle with the last 6 days, I realize I might not think enough. So I guess one of my resolutions for 2010 will be to think more. But in the mean time, I am hungry. I just ate my Fruit Loops and yogurt, but I really want a waffle. Too bad, no one at work has one for me! So anyways that got me thinking about my favorite restaurants so here is My Top 10 List (like David Letterman):

10) Chimaya (Huntington Beach) - Wendy, Mike and I spent a good part of a year there drinking mango martinis, sitting around the fire pit on the beach and eating chips and guacamole. I recently came across a picture of me there as I was loading our new Digital Frame Christmas present and while I had bad hair, I looked skinny, had good skin and seemed happy.

9) Luna Park (L.A.) - Dr. Pepper martinis with Dr. Pepper jelly bellies, need I say more? Fay and I were full of candy when we were done but it kicked off a fun weekend adventure in California that included San Juan Capistrano!

8) Chop House (Ann Arbor) - Wendy, Tom S, Trudi and I spent a very fun-filled evening here discussing the publication and marketing of Tom's book Managed Murders. I felt very grown-up and smart as we discussed book signings, interviews, launch parties and such. To this day, the only book that I know of where I am in the acknowledgement section.

7) L.A. Farm and Whist (Santa Monica)- Again more Michelle and Wendy adventures where we made friends with the chef, were late to our reservations yet again because of traffic but had the best salmon and steak of our lives!

6) Spice Kitchen (NYC) - Besides being a celebrity hot spot, it represented a fun weekend of sightseeing and the Fancy Food Show with Tom. After a yummy dinner with Tom, Liz and The Jose, it was off to see the Broadway play "Curtains" and then champagne at the Marriott Millennium. A true New York experience!

5) The Stinking Rose (San Francisco) - A whole restaurant where every entree (and desserts) include garlic! A stinky but yummo dining experience during a fun trip to a great city that included a Ghost Walking Tour!

4) Auberge du Soleil (Napa Valley) and Yavapi Restaurant (Sedona) - The views were spectacular - vineyards at the first place and the red rock mountains at the second one. It doesn't matter who you are with, if you are a nature lover or not, you can not help but be impressed with these restaurants. Just don't eat my jicama like the waiter at Yavapi did. I don't care that I think it is gross, don't touch my plate! French Laundry, here I come!

3) Palio (Ann Arbor) - our favorite Italian restaurant in town. The mushroom crostini (or as Scott calls it, the fungi) is to die for, the pesto is delicious and they have the great birthday special that I love so much. They make me feel like I am in Naples (I'll let you know if my feeling is accurate once I actually visit Naples).

2) Rosa Mexicano (Washington D.C.) and some hole in the wall Mexican restaurant (Albuquerque) - both adventures with Helen. The first involved 2 extra subway rides and about 2 miles of walking in 95 degree heat because we were in the wrong quadrant of the blasted city. The second involved a strip mall restaurant recommended my a friend that had mouth watering quesadillas, crazy patrons that were sharing their dinners with us at the bar and way too much sangria!

1) Real Seafood (Ann Arb0r) - the best crab legs on the planet and Tom and my engagement dinner (only I did not know it - I thought it was just a birthday dinner!) Over the years, I have been there with so many friends and family, it seems like an extension of our dining room (though a much better one). My mouth is watering now!

This blog did not help with me being hungry but it did bring back memories of good times, good friends and fun travels. OK, off to find some toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment