Tuesday, February 21, 2017

22.4 miles or Bust!




It's all because of Liz.

If she had not posted about the excellent time that she was having at Disney World at Princess Weekend, I never would have become hooked on races at Disney.  Thanks a lot :).

My first princess weekend was in February 2013, so our trip tomorrow marks the 5th year of this annual pilgrimage.  In 2013, Fay and I started small with a 1/2 marathon.  We were unprepared, overwhelmed and totally lost.  The expo was huge, we had no costumes for the race and the 2:00 am wake-up call was a shock to the system.  We were spot on with bringing Kimberley to hang out with us, taking a Canopy Cycle Tour, enjoying Pasta in the Park and being able to see Liz.

In 2014, Kimberley joined the 1/2 marathon fun and Fay was busy being National President.  It was awesome, we had our first "family vacation" in years, played like kids at Magic Kingdom and had matching t-shirts.  Progress was made!

We got Mom to join the fun in 2015 and we stepped up our game and did the 5K and 10K races.  Fay, Kimberly and I dragged Mom ahead of the balloon ladies laughing all the way.

In an effort to reduce the stress of trying to get registered within the 30 seconds of the race being open, I decided to raise funds through Children's Miracle Network.  I also had a temporary lapse in sanity and signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge and the 5K.  I pulled Jamie into this madness and she did the 5K with Mom and I as well as the 10K.  We were family of the day at Old Key West, crafted the hell out of the family center, rode a bike for 3 with me driving.  What a hoot!

My sanity returned and I decided 2017 I would return back to only the 5K and 10K so I could actually "enjoy" my vacation.  Jamie cajoled, persuaded and twisted my arm (😄) and we are committed (or will be shortly) to to the Glass Slipper + 5K again (22.4 miles over 3 days)!  Training has been spotty, so T-30 hours to the final showdown!





No comments:

Post a Comment