Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is This Museum Real or a Joke?

I love quirky museums. The more bizarre, the better. With all my travels, I get bored with art museums, historical sights, unless there is some gimmick to the attraction. Let's take a look at some of my most memorable ones:

- The International Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago - features exhibits dealing with various aspects of Eastern and Western medicine - lots of torture like medical instruments from the past, along with lots of body parts in formaldehyde.

- Call of the Wild Museum in Gaylord - The whole museum is all dead animals native to northern Michigan, tanned and stuffed. Really rather disturbing but less stinky than a zoo.

- Swaminarayan Akshardham in New Delhi - showcases the essence of India’s ancient architecture, traditions and timeless spiritual messages. This is where we took a It's a Small World boat ride through the temple and learned that an Indian invented gunpowder, antibiotics, fire and the wheel, contrary to what we have read in books!

- Liberace and Elvis-O-Rama Museums in Las Vegas - these museums more glitter and neon than anyplace in the world!

- Sake Tasting Museum in Berkeley, CA - interesting and gave me flashbacks to too many sake bombs and Korean bombs with my JCI Friends.

- The Christmas Story Museum in Cleveland, OH - where else can you go and live out the marathon TNT movie that plays for 24 hours ever Christmas? I want that leg lamp!

The Newseum in Washington D.C. - here I got to be a new reporter for the Washington Nationals, which was pretty cool!

Well there are probably a lot of other "interesting" museums that I have visited, these are at the top! Let me know the quirkiest place you have ever visited :)!

1 comment:

  1. Fay and Wendy pointed out I missed two very important museums - the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto, Canada and the Torture Museum in Budapest, Hungary.

    Fay and I dragged our exes to a multi-level museum dedicated to the shoe. Manolo Blanik, eat your heart out!

    The Torture Museum was sombering, and brought back what life used to be like under the Iron Curtain. Definitely not an uplifter, but an intriguing museum none the less.

    ReplyDelete