Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Zany Times at Zingerman's

I love Zingerman's. It is an Ann Arbor institution that all the townies know about. People come far and wide for their great food! I love the bakehouse for Turkey Chili and Grilled Cheese. I love creamery and their burnt sugar gelato. The Roadhouse sucks me in with their Macaroni and Cheese, while the Deli's Reuben reminds me of Katz's NYC deli. The classes they offer are awesome and Linda, Mary Jo and I try to go several times a year. We would go weekly if we could afford, but alas, good food is not cheap.

Zingerman's classes are always an adventure. Linda and I went to a Pasta and Sauces class in January where we go to sample different pastas and sauces from around the world. All was going well into a woman walked into the class 45 minutes late (they are only 2 hour classes) and disrupted everyone. Then to make matters worse, she had ordered food to be delivered - matzo ball soup to be exact, because she does not like pasta. Hello? Did the class name Pastas and Sauces not give it away? After getting her settled, the class continued.

In February, I went to the class Foods from the Other Americas. Linda had to cancel at the last minute so I enlisted Scottie to go with me. We should have had rules before going. First off, we were asked our experience with Latin or South American foods. I was talking about Brazil and Panamanian foods from my trips, Scottie said Taco Bell. Really is that considered an ethnic food at all? I was dealing with an amateur. Next up, discussing a spice that shares a name with a slang sexual term. Scottie whips out the IPhone, goes to http://www.hiphoptionary.com/ and decides to enlighten the class. He got shushed rather quickly by the instructor and is probably banned indefinitely!

In March, Wendy took me to a Pralus Rendez-Vous Chocolate class which was to die for. That was until a class participant decided she knew more about chocolate and decided to usurp the class form the instructor and try teaching it herself. She had to be contained so the class could be continued. I later ran into that woman in Cost Plus and she again started telling me all about chocolate and her new business. I don't know you and I don't like you - enough said!

Tom took me to a Mozzarella making class at the creamery for my birthday. We made 5 kinds of mozzarella, took 6 pounds home from the event and had cheese and stomachaches for the next 2 weeks. My Mom made friends with the Zingerman's owner at the Roadhouse when he was pouring our water. He ended up autographing my cookbook. Liz and I did the Zingerman's tour - 5 stops in 24 hours for a t-shirt. We were full, but happy!

Zingerman's is just one of those little things in life that make me happy! Besides, there is never a dull moment.


NOTE: This will most likely be my last blog until November 23rd. I am off to Africa on vacation and probably will be at the beach on the Mediterranean in my free time. Stay tuned!

1 comment: