Friday, November 6, 2009

Engagement Surprise

I am more of a glass half empty kind of girl. You have to earn my trust before I give it. So my theory with engagements and wedding was simple - not on holidays, not on my birthday. I do not want my special days ruined if we get divorced or worse, you die! I know glass half empty, but that's how it is.

So for my 33rd birthday Mary Jo was throwing me a birthday party and I was excited. It was going to be a blow out - over 40 people were invited. Tom and I went out to dinner before and then we went to Scottie's for the party and I started trying the martinis that Fay was mixing. There were 3 kinds and my glass was never empty, so I started to get a bit tipsy as we went on.

At one point in the night, Tom was no where to be found. I found him in the spare bedroom practicing his speech. He had been instructed by Mary Jo to give a birthday speech at 9 p.m. sharp! I wanted him to join the party but he said he needed to practice. I was like say "Happy Birthday, let's eat cake!" Hey, remember I am now more than a wee bit tipsy. Finally, I left him muttering to himself as I went to find a refill.

Speech time came and I was seated (to prevent drink spillage and potentially falling down) and Tom started his speech. It started off "We are all here to celebrate Michelle's birthday, blah, blah, blah" and the next thing I knew he was down on one knee with a ring. Wait, what just happened? I was speechless (which if you really know me, knows this happens about as often as a meteor shower) for a few seconds (long seconds if you ask Tom) and then I said yes. The rest of the evening turned into a engagement/celebration party.

It was on to presents where good old Scottie too Hottie shouted "Thanks Tom, now everyones gifts are crap!" Leave it to Scottie to liven up the party. The next morning, I was still in shock, severely hung over, and had a girl's day planned for my birthday. Numerous phone calls needed to be made. And you know what, I was only slightly mad that he broke my commandment of no birthdays and holidays. But he got me good, it was the biggest and best surprise ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment